Many people know that I (Tammy, Katie’s mom) had a pacemaker placed in 2014, and ALSO that I used to race triathlon.
Well, this year our family is facing (yet ANOTHER) challenge: Katie’s dad Jeff has been diagnosed with KIDNEY CANCER that has spread to his lungs. 🙁
I was going to plan a Memorial 5K Run/1 mile walk for June 2, 2018 this year as a fundraiser for Katie’s fund, but with Jeff’s illness, this won’t be possible…..
SOOOOO, I’ve decided to take on a new challenge!!
For 2018, I’m going to SWIM DOWN LAKE MICHIGAN!! You read that right! I’m going to swim the length of Lake Michigan!!
Now, for those who don’t know: Lake Michigan is 307 miles long. Driving Milwaukee to Minneapolis is 337 miles. So, you get the gist!!!
Lest you think I’m CRAZY (!), a) I’m going to take the WHOLE YEAR to do this!! b) it will be in the POOL.
Let me break this down for you:
I belong to the Wisconsin Athletic Club (“the WAC”) in Menomonee Falls. They have a 25 yard pool. To swim 307 miles, it will take me 10, 745 laps (up and back) or 21,490 individual lengths.
Monthly, I plan to swim 895.4 laps. That’s 25.6 miles per month. A running marathon is 26.2 miles. So, I’ll almost be swimming a MARATHON in the pool per month.
How will this raise money, you ask?? What a great question!!
- For every mile I swim swim, I will be putting $5 into a (proverbial) coffee can. At the end of each month, I will be sending a check to Waukesha County Community Foundation to the Katelyn Ann Fennig Memorial Fund. By the end of the year, if I meet my goal, I will have raised about $1500. (I will also hopefully have lost a few pounds, BONUS!!) This is a TAX-DEDUCTIBLE DONATION!!
- I will be asking my WONDERFUL FRIENDS and FAMILY to JOIN ME in this fundraising effort!! Whether it’s 1 month, 2, 6, or all 12, pledge with me!! $5 per swim, $1 per swim, whatever you can afford, it will all add up!!
We continue to give out scholarships every year to graduates of Menomonee Falls High School who are studyng an area of art. My goal is that I want to break into mental health projects for youth and young adults. We just haven’t had the funds available. The run/walk this year was going to set us “over the top”. But, God has another plan. So, I’m hoping just to keep us afloat 🙂 so that we can give money to our graduating seniors this year. I hope that you’ll join me!!
Other ways that you can help:
- Join me in the pool! I’m wonderfully slow but I do get it done. If you’re up for it, drop me a line and meet me early in the mornings!
- Send me your playlists for my underwater MP3 player! I’m always looking for new tunes!
- Drop me notes of encouragement on our website here. I’d love to hear from you. It takes a village and I’m sure my old bones will be sore and tired. Massage therapy and chiropractic will be my mainstays, and caring words from “Katie’s Crew” will keep me going, for sure!!
- Please pray for healing for Jeff and strength for him and his wife Anna, and for our daughter, Nicole. We could all use your love and support. Thanks.